Wurstfest is that special time of year when all of us here in New Braunfels embrace our German Heritage and pull out our Dirndls and lederhosen for the 10-day salute to the sausage! This year Wurstfest starts November 1st and runs through the 10th! You can pretty much ask any local and they’ll tell you it’s their favorite Fall event.
Being a New Braunfels native, I’ve learned a lot of tips and tricks on how to tackle this festival. Here’s a list of all the things you need to know before going to Wurstfest.
Prost! Prost! Prost!
- Opening day is FREE until 7pm.
2. Cash only y’all. Admission, food and drink tickets can only be purchased with cash. ATM machines are on site, but have a substantial service fee.
3. There are three different music stages at Wurstfest playing a variety of polka music throughout the night. Hands down best performance is Alex Meixner. His style is polka meets rock at a Madonna concert. His show is insane and is a must see! Go here for a schedule of performers.
4. More FREE time! Did you know Monday thru Wednesday offer free admission and the last Sunday is free after 3pm? So if you haven’t quite used up all those drink tickets head over Sunday!
5. Did you know there are carnival rides in two separate areas for tweens and younger kiddos to enjoy? Note: this does cost extra. You’ll need to buy tickets for each ride. Best bang for your buck is to the buy the “All You Can Ride Pass.” That way your kids can ride over and over again without you having to worry to about buying more tickets, and you can kick back with a brew.
6. Parking…it can be a problem. There isn’t much parking to be had close to Wursftest. Chances are you’ll have to park far away and walk a ways to get to the festival. Or you can pay to park at Schlitterbahn, $15 and get a free shuttle to drop you off right at the entrance. This is probably your best bet to avoid a long trek.
7. With so many food options it can be hard to know what you absolutely should not miss. You will be sad it you went to Wurstfest and didn’t get the Wurstentachen, pork chop on a stick or potato pancakes. Don’t have any regrets!!! (hint: this is why going more than one night is helpful. Your stomach can’t handle all the deliciousness that there is to take in for just one night. This why one night just isn’t enough).
8. Have a meeting spot in case you get separated from your friends. Wurstfest can get fairly packed and loud and it’s not always easy to hear your cell phone. Best spot to meet is in front of the Wurstentachen booth! There’s plenty of open space and it’s easy to get to from all areas of the festival.
9. Thursday night is college night. But here’s the catch: it’s actually one of the best nights to go because most people avoid it due to its reputation. You just need to make sure you’re headed out by 9pm because that’s when the college crowd shows up.
10. But if you really want to have the best Wurstfest experience without all the muss and fuss stay at the Resort at Schlitterbahn! Not only are we located right next door to the festival we offer a free shuttle to and from Wurstfest. It doesn’t get much better than that! Pro-tip: Book the Wurstfest Getaway + Tickets + Beer Package. You’ll already have your tickets to Wurstfest purchased and 40 drink tickets to get you started! It’s a great value because waiting in line sucks!
Spend more time with your friends and less time worrying about how to enjoy Wurstfest! For reservations call: 844-663-5149