Operations Managers know everything about the rides at Schlitterbahn! I was very lucky to track down one of our busy Managers, Tracey Nefford, 4 days before the big opening day (April 27, 2013)! I thought it would be fun to know what rides he considered the BEST of the BEST at Schlitterbahn New Braunfels Waterpark.
Here are Tracey’s Top Five Favs! (in no particular order):
1. Whitewater Tube Chute – This is my absolute favorite ride in the entire park. This ride is a quick ride but there are so many surprises around every corner and every drop which makes this ride jump to the top of my list.
The Whitewater Tube Chute is fast and crazy with an insane drop — yet you can get stuck in little whirlpools that are silly and fun and can’t help but make you smile and laugh. Overall this ride has everything I want in an attraction and is just so dang fun.
2. Dragon’s Revenge – I have had the pleasure of evolving with this ride during its transformation from the Dragon Blaster to the Dragon’s Revenge. This ride may have aesthetically changed but constantly provides fast straight-aways, soaking wet conditions, and a very unexpected last drop!
I think when the ride transformed into the Dragon’s Revenge a few years ago all of the surprises and quirks of this ride were highlighted and created an experience of solitude and adventure which is very hard to do outside and on a water ride.
3. The Kristal River – Who doesn’t love a relaxing float on a never ending river? For me the Kristal River is the perfect place to go and chill out after tackling all of the thrills on the East side of our park. The Kristal River brings out the kid in me and if I am not relaxing in a tube, I am tackling the floating alligators and attempting to balance myself and as many friends as possible on them.
4. The Raging River – To me the Raging River is a hidden gem in our park. Overall this ride offers many things I enjoy as a park guest such as: a ridiculously fast moving line and an attraction that lasts a long while.
The uniqueness of this ride takes you under buildings where you are destined to hear renditions of the Spiderman song or just as often selections from the Simpsons’ “Spider Pig.” It also takes you through caves, weaves through other attractions, and ends up with you floating between the lush banks of the Comal river. This ride is a MUST DO with anyone I bring to Schlitterbahn.
5. The Boogie Bahn – By any means I am not a pro boogie boarder, but I enjoy the challenge and the opportunity to get better year after year. As an employee I have had the opportunity to ride this ride at staff events which allows for more repetitious practice and the challenge to learn new skills and tricks.
When the park is open and I am here as a guest, I will ride the Boogie Bahn….just not after one of our fantastic season passers. They are just too good.
If you had any questions about what to do on your 1st or 100th visit to Schlitterbahn, these rides are a surefire way to have a great time at Schlitterbahn. Afterall, who would know better than the team that works on them every day? Thank you for sharing your list with us, Tracey, and thank you for everything you do at Schlitterbahn!
FUN FACT: Many of the pictures you see above and everywhere at Schlitterbahn often feature members of our amazing Schlitterbahn Operations Team!
Tracey Nefford started at Schlitterbahn as a lifeguard in 2009. Over the years he has worked his way up to one of our Operations Managers. Tracey has also traveled the world the past three years recruiting and interviewing several of our work and travel participants. Tracey is a resident of New Braunfels and is active in community theatre with the New Braunfels Theatre Company. Tracey also enjoys cooking, traveling and spending time with his dogs whenever he is not at the Waterpark.